21 October 2008

Without the Food Network or the Travel Channel, many Asian foods that would have otherwise baffled me were quite familiar. Still, some remain exotic enough to unnerve me (shark's fin and durian) but others have become very enticing. Ever since I first saw them on television, I have longed for steamed buns (stay with me, I'm still talking about food). So, imagine my excitement when we went we walked into a 7-11 and saw this:


7-11s are everywhere in Singapore. In some instances, we counted three 7-11 stores on one block. They are as common as Starbucks are in US cities.

I held back on the convenience store steamed bun, as I wanted my first experience to be a bit more authentic. So, on Wednesday, October 1st, Ryan and I went to a food court (slightly different than a hawker center, it is air-conditioned and a bit, well, cleaner) and ate steamed buns, wild mushroom and spinach dim sum, and chicken feet.




The wait was worth it. Those buns were delicious! Since I've always associated them with dumplings, I expected them to be more like a thick dumpling and less like bread. But just as their name implies, they were soft and bread-like; like a bun. The wild mushroom dim sum was excellent, and the chicken feet... they were tasty, but there wasn't much to them.

1 comment:

  1. I finally caught up! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures and hear more stories.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete