18 October 2008

Ostrich and wrasse weren't the only new foods I tried in Singapore. There were many new experiences!

Whenever Ryan and I ate in town, we ate almost exclusively at hawker centers. These are open-air complexes that are made up of rented stalls from which individuals sell their food. Hawker centers are similar to a food courts, as we know them in the States, but they are typically outside and you will not find commercial restaurants there. The food is fresh and often made right in front of you. It is a common and inexpensive place for locals to eat. Each time we at at a hawker center we were the only tourists there.

Day One: I ate dumplings that were made-to-order and so good. 10 dumplings, $3 Singapore dollars / $2.00 USD. Ryan ate duck and rice, also for $2.00 USD


Above: Man making my dumplings...
Below: My dumplings!



Hawker Stall

Steamed Fish Head!


To be continued...

1 comment: