11 September 2007


For Labor Day, Ryan and I headed out to San Jose to visit Amy, Andy, and my favorite nephew, Alex. We had such a wonderful time. I can't believe how much Alex has grown and changed since we last saw him in July. My favorite new development is his laugh.



Not only did we have a great time making Alex laugh, but we had the opportunity to go to the Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco. Though I am well-aware of the fact that this area has been commercialized since the hippies moved in during the 1960s, experiencing Haight-Ashbury was exciting. Just as
City Lights brought back fond memories of my immersion in everything beat, Haight-Ashbury called to mind my love of the Grateful Dead and life before cubicles and a 9-to-5 schedule.



On Monday, we ventured over to Santa Cruz for a bit of beach, beer, and boardwalk. I had such a blast on the rides and I only questioned my mortality once, when I was upside down and at least one hundred feet in the air. Only a momentary buzz-kill. Before we arrived in Santa Cruz, Amy explained that it wasn't going to be a high-class affair. She was right. It wasn't a place of class and high-rollers, it was, however, the best place to find young children with classic hair styles.

Exhibit A: A bit of Mulletude
*please note, I have strategically placed the inflated hammer in front of this boy's face to protect his identity



Exhibit B: The Classic Rat Tail


Sadly, we didn't eat dinner at the boardwalk - though the fried dough, fried fudge, fried twinkies, and french fries were all so tempting. Instead, we went back to San Jose and indulged at a Japanese steak house. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment