23 September 2009

I suppose there are some reasons why we might miss living in the city. Here are a couple:

1. The local bar(s)
2. The take-out restaurants where we knew what we were going to order without looking at a menu
3. The fact that take-out is available at all times
4. Walking to the grocery store
5. I miss being able to say we live in D.C. Now, we are just a couple of people from Maryland. Much less exciting :)

The truth is, I didn't take much advantage of city-living... especially in the last couple of years. During the last year and a half that we lived in the city, we lived in a cute neighborhood, but it was not downtown, as we'd lived before (Dupont Circle, Logan Circle.) I was no longer taking walks to local coffee places, or boutiques, or local bookstores, as I'd done often when we first moved from New Orleans. We were living in an apartment building among single-family homes. When Sal and I took our evening walk through the neighborhood, I would peer into the yards and homes and long for the single-family house lifestyle.

Now we have all of that; and I am hardly missing city living. I'm looking forward to sitting outside on the deck on an autumn night in sweaters and socks; winter evenings in front of the fireplace, shoveling the snow off of the driveway for the first time... and then spring and flowers and a vegetable garden that my grandfather would be proud of.



No comments:

Post a Comment