21 November 2007

Tomorrow morning Ryan and I are heading to Kansas to celebrate Thanksgiving! We will be eating dinner with his grandma Jeanne. I am really looking forward to seeing Jeanne, Amy, Andy, and my nephew Alex! I will share photos when I return. My fingers are crossed that air travel will not be a problem.

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

For the Hawkins family, Thanksgiving is most often a quiet holiday. The low murmur of football and the crackling of a fire in the fireplace makes me feel right at home. And while Christmas is celebrated with our traditional Italian feast (antipasto, homemade ravioli, etc.) our Thanksgiving tradition is quite simple and reflective. Started by my paternal grandmother Marion Hawkins, the beginning of each meal is marked with the planting of a single stalk of celery in each mound of mashed potatoes. To her, this signified the planting of a new tree, an embrace of life, a thanksgiving.

I'd love to hear about your holiday traditions!

2 comments:

  1. I love the current header image.

    I hope your travel was as easy as ours was...no problems at all. So far, so good. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete