31 October 2007

Happy Halloween!

Before our family moved to Hitching Post Lane in 1987, we lived down the street from Steve and Annie, a couple whom I remember to be very creative. Each winter, they would sculpt complex scenes of snow in the front yard and each Halloween, something equally as unique would be waiting for trick-or-treaters.

When I was four years old, likely donning a Strawberry Shortcake disguise, I remember approaching their house with apprehension. The front porch light was off, begging the question of our presence in the first place (didn’t a darkened porch mean trick-or-treaters were not welcome?) Still, I climbed the steps and rang the bell.

As we waited for an answer, I noticed the scarecrow slumped against the house to my immediate right; perfectly inanimate. Without warning, the ‘dummy’ turned to me and my bowels let go.

Seriously, I don’t think I soiled myself, but I might as well have. I am not sure how long it took me to realize it was Annie under the make-up and straw, but I know there were a few screams and plenty of tears.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet costume! I had a similar experience one year, and I was hysterical. I don't do well with things like that. I went on a haunted hike once when I was about 10, and I seriously think I almost died from fright...or hyperventilation brought on by fright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you should try oreo spiders made very easy this yr by the invention of Cakesters by Oreo. 8 pretzels because my first grader knows a spider has 8 not 6 legs a tube of frosting and mini M&M's unless you want googly eyes! You will be a hit with childen and MEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually tried to make a Halloween dessert... but it was a bust. I've seen various recipes for spider cookies. They look very fun to make. I will definately try them next year.

    ReplyDelete