22 May 2010

Whenever the subject of snakes comes up, it's usually followed by a round of squeals, scrunched noses, and shaking heads. I typically laugh and launch into the story about the time I picked up a snake with my bare hands and held it up to my father; I was about six years old. What courage!

Even as an adult I've not been particularly scared of snakes. I save that fear for spiders and cockroaches. Oh wait - there was that time with the snake in Kentucky... when it tried to get into our boat. That was pretty horrifying.

Today I opened the front door and walked outside. I wasn't two steps out the door when I noticed movement about a foot to my left. I turned and jumped back. There was a snake in our shrub, it's head out, tongue flicking, eyes locked on mine. My courage failed me and I ran all the way around the house, in the back door and up the stairs, yelling to Ryan about a snake.

Turns out I don't care much for snakes. Not if they live at my house.

7 comments:

  1. I remember you grabbing that snake as I went to the garage for a pair of gloves . . . I was a tough guy that day (humor).

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEWWWWWW! Yuck! RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked up on him today. He (or she) lives in the space between the concrete outside our garage. I went over to look and its little head is sticking out. I hope it isn't protecting eggs. UGH! We haven't decided what to do. I may have to call the county animal country. From their weekly article in the Post, it seems like they handle these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little guy, looks pretty harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That snake needs to LEAVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks pretty big. How long is it?

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete