08 September 2009

I'm psyched about composting.

I realize garbage is a strange thing to be excited about, but I am.

This weekend Ryan and I built a dual-action compost bin. It is "dual-action" because it will eventually be composting two different stages of compost at the same time.

Since our last trip to Asheville, where we met some great people and learned a lot about living a more environmentally-friendly, back-to-the-earth, sort of lifestyle, I've been interested in how we can apply more earth-conscious elements to our life.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, "Yard trimmings and food residuals together constitute 24 percent of the U.S. municipal solid waste stream. That's a lot of waste to send to landfills when it could become useful and environmentally beneficial compost instead!"

Since I am planning my vegetable, herb, and flower garden for next spring, I figured I'd get a head start on my compost. I will save money on bags of soil and I'm significantly cutting down on the waste that's hauled off to the dump.

Links I used to research composting:
CompostInstructions.com/what-you-can-and-cannot-compost
www.composting101.com
www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=LawnGarden/compostBin.html



2 comments:

  1. tell Ryan Coors Light bottles / cans do not decompose!!

    D for ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I'm impressed. I want to do this when we get a house. I might copy you.

    ReplyDelete