30 April 2009

Rule Breaker #2

About a month ago I was standing on the platform waiting for the metro. It was after rush hour and trains weren't running so frequently.  Slowly, the platform filled with those of us in office attire, clearly working late, dog-tired and ready to get home. I was standing close to the edge, nose in a book. From behind me I hear the click of heels as another approaches the platform to wait.

It took me a minute or so to realize that the clicking of heels never really stopped, they simply turned into more erratic footsteps.  Without turning around to stare, I turned slightly to get a glimpse of the woman behind me.  She was a white woman in her mid-thirties, wearing black pumps, nylons, pencil-skirt, and a button-down shirt. She had ear buds in; an ipod in one hand and a blackberry in the other. Aside from her fancy footwork, she looked like just another government worker.

But no. She wasn't just another drone. She was a dancer! Despite the crowded platform and, oh yeah, the proper metro etiquette, this woman was getting down... and getting awfully close to the quickly gathering commuters.

It was hilarious. After a couple of stolen glances, I just turned around to watch. I think the best part was that she was so involved in her blackberry that she didn't have any idea that she was making a minor scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment