13 November 2008

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 started off just like any other day. I went to work, likely never left the office to experience the wonderful autumn weather, and departed around 6 p.m. As I approached the large parking lot that I typically cross on my way home (located at the corner of 11th and H streets) I couldn't help but to notice the massive amount of people crowded into one half of the lot, and the carefully positioned security guards protecting this group. I continued halfway through the empty side of the lot and then stopped, just at the edge of the excited crowd.

What was going on?

There was a stage set up to my left, but it was empty.

My gaze swept the scene until it rested on the few men standing about 20 feet to my right.

It took a few moments for it to register, but soon my stomach was all butterflies. I was standing 20 feet from Barack Obama. President-elect Barack Obama.

My fingers flew into action, dialing everyone I knew that was within walking distance. In minutes, Theresa B. was standing at my side.

At this time Barack Obama still had a lot of competition for the democratic nomination. It would be months before Kucinich, Gravel, Dodd, Biden, Richardson, Edwards, and finally, Clinton, conceded to Obama for the nomination. In our house, it was still a toss up as to who we would support.

D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty took the stage and spoke about Barack Obama, concluding the introduction with his endorsement. And then, as Obama took the stage, the crowd erupted. I couldn't help but feeling overcome with pure excitement.

Even at that time I felt like I was witnessing history.

For the next 50 minutes I was mesmerized. I took in every word and then walked away feeling positively jubilant. I knew then and there who I would support as the next President of the United States. Ryan later laughed at me for being so easily smitten, "One speech was all it took?"

Yes. One speech.

Even after Obama won the nomination, he had a long and hard road ahead of him.

But here we are. Over a year later and Barack Obama is slated to be the next President of the United States.

D. C. is abuzz about the inauguration. The offices of state representatives are being overwhelmed with requests for tickets. Ticket agencies are selling tickets they only hope to distribute for up to $20,050. A block of 300 hotel rooms at the downtown Marriott has been booked for $1 million and locals are renting out there home and apartments for thousands of dollars.

D.C.'s official convention and tourism corporation, Destination DC, estimates 1.5 million people will attend the inauguration, compared to George W. Bush's 300,000 attendees.

I likely won't score a ticket, but on January 20th, I will be down on the National Mall.

Though I haven't met a single one of them, I know not everyone loves the idea of Obama as president -- a fact that is hard to remember when you live in a city/state of which 92% voted for him. And I know that those of us who do believe in him have placed a monumental set of expectations on the man. He will not be perfect. But at this moment, the most important part of Barack Obama's presidential victory is that people are humming with optimism. For the first time in years, the political chatter around our 'water-cooler' is positive. Hopeful.

1 comment:

  1. It's not just people in the U.S. that are excited but people all over. It seems that everyone we meet these days asks us what we think about Obama and then tells us how happy they are too that he was elected. It actually feels good to be American these days!

    ReplyDelete