07 October 2008

It really doesn't matter how much planning goes into a trip, when flying, we are all at the mercy of the airlines; being what they are lately, that's a scary position to be in.

On Friday, September, 26th, I woke early in anticipation of the many many hours of traveling we had ahead of us. I zoomed Sal over to the kennel and returned home to shower and top off the suitcases. We were relaxed. We had a couple of hours before we needed to head to the airport, and we were ready. I'd done so much planning, making sure we had everything for every situation and that we were together on each and every flight.

Ryan turned on the computer check-in for our flights online only to find that our flight to Tokyo had been cancelled.

Cancelled.

Northwest Airlines was kind enough to rebook me for the following day, and Ryan through various US cities, finally arriving at some random time in the future. (Honestly, I wasn't listening to details, I was still hearing the word CANCELLED.) Immediately we got on the phone with a representative. We were first asked:

Can you leave from Dulles airport instead of Reagan?
yes.
Can you make it onto a 9:30 a. m. flight?

I looked at the clock. It was 8:37 a. m.
If that was possible I would have to be standing in line at the airport at this very minute.

With a bit more time spent on the phone and the frequent reminder that I had paid FULL PRICE for this ticket (thank you business travel) NWA was able to work out an itinerary that was comparable to our first, but it required some running.

No comments:

Post a Comment